- Iit Ism Dhanbad
IIT ISM Dhandbad
IIT ISM Dhandbad was formerly known as the Indian School of Mines which was formally opened on 9th December 1926, by Lord Irwin, the then Viceroy of India to address the need for trained manpower related to mining activities in the country. In 1967 it was granted the status of a deemed to be university. Since its establishment, IIT(ISM) has undergone considerable expansion of its activities, and presently it can be considered as a total technology education institute.
It is situated in the heart of the country’s prime coking coal belt, 260 kms from Kolkata with a campus spread over an area of 393 acres. It is a fully residential IIT(ISM) and has all the facilities of world class academic institute. What started as an institution to impart mining education has graduated into a full-fledged technical institution of international acclaim offering a host of programmes like B. Tech., M. Tech., M. Sc. Tech., and MBA. In addition the School offers M. Phil. and full as well as part time Ph. D. programmes, while also awarding D.Sc. as the highest degree of academic achievement.
Mission of IIT ISM Dhanbad
- To educate and train manpower in various disciplines of engineering and technology, management, applied sciences and applied arts at the graduate, postgraduate and research levels;
- To foster the creation of new and relevant technologies in the areas of its core competency and to transfer them to industry for effective utilization.
- To participate directly in the planning and solving of engineering and managerial problems of relevance to Indian industry and to society at large.
- To develop and conduct continuing education programmes for practicing engineers and managers.
- To develop strong collaborative and cooperative links with private and public sector industries and government user departments.
- To develop comprehensive and intimate interaction with premier academic and research institutions within the country and abroad for mutual benefit.
- To develop programmes for faculty growth and development.
- To anticipate the technological needs of the nation, and to plan and prepare to cater to them.
- To interact with the community/society at large with a view to inculcate in them a feel for scientific and technological thought and endeavour.
- To develop the region in which the Institute is located through community development programmes including training and education.
Admission in IIT ISM Dhanbad
IIT (ISM) offers B.Tech programmes in 13 disciplines, viz. Mining Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Mining Machinery Engineering, Mineral Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering and Engineering Physics. Five year dual degree programme in Computer Science and Engineering. It also offers five year integrated M.Tech in Applied Geology, Applied Geophysics and Mathematics & Computing.
IIT (ISM) offers admission to the B.Tech (4 Years), B.Tech & M.Tech. Dual Degree (5 Years) and Integrated M.Tech. (5 Years) Courses of various Departments through JEE (Advanced) examination.
Departments in IIT ISM Dhanbad
Indian Institute of Technology, Dhanbad
Jharkhand, India, 826004