- Birsa Agricultural University
Birsa Agricultural University
Agricultural education had always gained importance in the state of Bihar. The first Agricultural College started in Sabour in 1945 followed by Ranchi Agricultural College in 1955, Ranchi Veterinary College in 1961 and College of Forestry in 1980. Bihar along with Jharkhand always had the potential to contribute substantially to the agricultural sector of the country. Keeping this in mind the Government established the first agricultural university of the region. Rajendra Agricultural University thus came into being in 1971. The need for more skilled manpower lead to the birth of Birsa Agricultural University. Birsa Agricultural University (BAU) was established 26th June, 1981.
Some of the goals laid down by the University include:
- Student centered approach to learning
- Enhanced liberala education and a variety in curriculum
- Expand outreach and extension efforts
- Focus on research and improve quality and quantity of basic research and transfer of research results into practice
- Offer efficient student support service to foster individual persistence and growth.
- Increase qualified and efficient faculty members and rope in the best both nationally and internationally
- Emphasis on area specific research programs
- Develop knowledge sharing hub between higher learning institutes
- Have off campus extension programmes to improve direct interaction with the farming community
- Encourage intellectual curiosity and vigorous brain storming sessions on farming techniques and ideas
- Assessing regional and local needs of the farmers and base research on that
- Improved training and support services for computer and communication technology with access to international network
- Have a wide range of extracurricular and leadership opportnities for students
- Develop innovative educational programmes for the benefit of the stduent community and the farming community as well
- Increased institutional responsiveness, creativity and agility. A community concerned about the well being of all its members.
- Opportunities for all students, faculty and staff to realize their intellectual, academic and professional potential
- A wide range of extracurricular and leadership opportunities for students
Faculties in Birsa Agricultural University
- Faculty of Agriculture
- College of Bio-Technology
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry
- Center of Agribusiness Management
- College of Fisheries Science
Admission in Under-Graduate Programmes in Birsa Agricultural University
There are two ways in which one can get admission in Birsa Agricultural University. While 15% of total seats are filled by a All India Entrance Examination for Admission (AIEEA) at all India level and 85% of the total seats are filled by Jharkhand Combined Competitive Entrance Examination Board, Ranchi.
College of Agriculture
The college of Agriculture offers a four-year course leading to the B.Sc.(Ag.) degree. The programmes of the college are carried through a network of fourteen Departments viz. Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Engineering, Agricultural Physics and Meteorology, Agricultural Statistics & Computer Application, Agronomy, Crop Physiology, English, Agricultural Entomology, Agricultural Extension Education, Horticulture, Plant Breeding and Genetics, Plant Pathology, Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry and Home Science.
College of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry
The College of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry offers 5-years B.V.Sc. (degree) programme through a network of 17 departments namely Animal Breeding and Genetics, Animal Nutrition, Animal Reproduction, Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Live Stock Production & Management, Veterinary Anatomy & A.H. Extension Education, Veterinary Biochemistry, Veterinary Microbiology, Veterinary Parasitology, Veterinary Pathology, Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology, Veterinary Physiology, Veterinary Public Health, Veterinary Surgery and Radiology, Veterinary Medicine and Aquaculture. Courses on Forage Crops Pisciculture and Apiculture are also offered to undergraduate students along with other production courses. Diploma in Aquaculture and Certificate Courses in Aquaculture are also offered.
College of Forestry
The College of Forestry offers four-years degree course leading B.Sc.(Hons.) Forestry degree. The faculty has five departments in the College, namely Silviculture & Agroforestry, Forest Biology & Tree Improvement, Forest Products Utilization, Natural Resource Management and Basic Science & Humanities. The Basic Science subjects are taught by the teachers of the Agricultural College of this University.
College of Biotechnology
The College of Biotechnology offers Master’s Programme only. The college have six departments namely Department of Biochemistry, Bio-informatics, Embryo Transfer Technology, Fermentation Technology, Molecular Biology & Microbiology and Plant Tissue Culture.
Post-Graduate Programmes in Birsa Agricultural University
The University offers courses leading to M.Sc. (Ag.), M.V.Sc. and Msc. (Forestry) degree in various disciplined of Agriculture, Vety. Science and Forestry. There are altogether 31 post-graduate departments out of which 23 Departments offer Ph.D. degree in Agriculture.
Disciplines offering Post-Graduate Programmes
Agricultural Physics and Agricultural Statistics
M.Sc. (Ag.) and Ph.D.
Agricultural Economics , Agricultural Entomology , Agricultural Extension Education, Agronomy , Horticulture, Plant Pathology, Plant Breeding & Genetics and Soil Science & Agricultural Chemistry
Live Stock Products Technology
M.V.Sc. and Ph.D.
Animal Breeding & Genetics, Animal Nutrition, Veterinary Gynaecology & Obstetrics, Veterinary Medicine, Veterinary Anatomy, Veterinary Microbiology, Veterinary Parasitology, Veterinary Pathology, Veterinary Pharmacology & Toxicology, Veterinary Physiology, Veterinary Public Health & Epidemiology, Veterinary Surgery & Radiology, Live Stock Production & Management, Veterinary Biochemistry, Animal Husbandry / Extension Education.
Forest Biology & Tree Improvement, Forest Products & Utilization, Natural Resource Management and >Basic Science & Humanities
Silviculture and Agroforestry
M. Tech. (Agricultural Engg.)
MBA Agribusiness Programme
Diploma and Certificate Programmes in Birsa Agricultural University
Diploma on “Food Processing” and Certification Course on “Fruit and Vegetable Processing Technology” are being offered in the Department of Home Science. One can also opt for a Certificate or Diploma Course in Aquaculture.
Doctorate Programmes in Birsa Agricultural University
- Agricultural Extension Education
- Plant Breeding & Genetics
- Plant Pathology
- Soil Science & Agricultural Chemistry
Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry
- Animal Breeding & Genetics
- Animal Husbandry Extension Education
- Live Stock Production & Management
- Veterinary Biochemistry
- Veterinary Gynaecology and Obstetrics
- Veterinary Pathology
- Veterinary Pharmacology & Toxicology
- Veterinary Physiology
Central Library of Birsa Agricultural University
The Central Library was established in 1987 and during the last 30 years of its existence, sincere efforts have been made to upgrade it. The post graduate students, research scholars and scientists engaged in various ICAR / State Govt. / Govt. of India schemes can use this library. The librarhy has Collection of Books (13,922), Thesis (1,604), Bound Journals (1,682) and Periodicals/Magazines (20).
Hostels in Birsa Agricultural University
The University has 14 student hostels out of which 5 are for girls while rest 9 are for boys. All the hostels are equipped with modern facilities like, computer, internet, telephone and common rooms. There are sports and recreation facilities as well. In each hostel, mess is being managed by the University and equipped with modern essential items.
Birsa Agricultural University
Kanke, Ranchi – 834006